Recipe for Roasted Autumn Squash with Spiced Cider Glaze
A few variety of autumn squash (acorn, butternut, delicate, kabocha)
12 spritz (4 tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch black pepper, fresh ground
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Wash squash in cold water. Cut squash in half and scrape out all seeds with large kitchen spoon.
3. Cut squash into wedges or chunks. Place squash pieces in a large bowl and season with EVO, salt and pepper. Stand squash cut-side up on tray. Spritz again with extra virgin olive oil.
4. Roast in 425 degree oven for 30-45 minutes until squash is tender and caramelized.
5. Cook time will vary based on squash type and how big you cut the pieces.
6. Spritz twice with olive oil during roasting and turn tray in oven.
7. To test, insert a paring knife to check tenderness; squash pieces should be caramelized on the edges.
8. Remove from oven and brush squash with spiced glaze
Recipe can be prepared in advance
Tip: if you prepare extra squash to have leftovers, you can use it to make roasted butternut squash soup
Spiced Cider Glaze
¼ cup apple cider
¼ cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup honey, Orange Blossom
1 tablespoon Chipotle Tabasco
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
Pinch whole black peppercorns
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 cinnamon sticks, split
4 pieces star anise
Fresh mint leaves (if desired)
1. Combine all ingredients in small, non-corrosive sauce pan
2. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to simmer for 5 minutes over low heat then turn off. Allow to steep for 5 more minutes.
3. Drizzle hot glaze over roasted squash wedges. Sprinkle with fresh torn mint leaves.