Man killed in Golden Hill apartment building fire likely caused by cigarette

SAN DIEGO (KUSI) —  A man was fatally injured Friday in a fire that caused $125,000 in damage at a multi-family home in the Golden Hill neighborhood, and
authorities said the blaze may have been sparked by a smoldering cigarette. Firefighters, police and paramedics were sent to a large, two-story house that had been converted into five apartments on B Street near 24th Street after someone spotted smoke around 4:30 a.m., authorities said. Dispatchers were told a man was possibly still inside.

A man said to be in his 60s was found inside and taken to UC San Diego Medical Center to be treated for injuries suffered in the fire, but he later died, San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Lee Swanson said. His name has yet to be made public.

About 35 firefighters had the fire knocked down in about 15 minutes and were able to confine the damage to an upstairs apartment. However, an adjoining apartment sustained smoke damage, Swanson said. A lit cigarette may have sparked the blaze.

"Investigators determined the fire was accidental, most likely caused by smoking," Swanson said.

About 10 other residents were displaced by the fire and were being assisted by the American Red Cross. The blaze caused about $100,000 in damage to the building and another $25,000 in damage to its contents, according to Swanson.

Categories: Local San Diego News