San Diego Theater Previews – 2/7/2019
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Theater Guru, Joey Landwehr joined Good Morning San Diego for this week’s theater preview.
THE HOUR OF GREAT MERCY
Through March 3
This poetic new play with music follows Ed, a gay Jesuit priest who leaves the Catholic church to reconcile with his estranged brother in an isolated and icy township in Alaska. As Ed confronts his tragic past and tenuous future, he unexpectedly finds love beneath the starry Alaskan sky, and support from an unlikely ally. Introducing an auspicious new voice in American theatre, The Hour of Great Mercy is a tender, insightful and compassionate story about our collective relationship to illness, family, and redemption.
FRANKIE AND JOHNNY IN THE CLAIR DE LUNE
Through February 23
After one too many hurtful relationships, the last thing that waitress Frankie wants is a new man. Yet here she is, lying next to Johnny, a compulsive talker and hopeless romantic, listening to Bach and Debussy on the radio and the sound of a city that never sleeps. Two very normal, very real people sparring, spatting and sparkling their way through all the one hundred and one reasons why people never fall in love.
• Playwright Terrence McNally been described as “one of the greatest contemporary playwrights the theater world has yet produced”. He has received the Tony Award for Best Play for Love! Valour! Compassion! and Master Class, as well as the Tony Award for Best Book of a Musical for Kiss of the Spider Woman and Ragtime. Dramatists Guild Lifetime Achievement Award as well as the Lucille Lortel Lifetime Achievement Award.
• The original 1987 cast starred Kathy Bates and F. Murray Abraham. The 1991 film directed by Garry Marshall starred Al Pacino and Michelle Pfeiffer.
VALENTINE’S DAY WEEKEND “HOUSE OF CARDS”
National Comedy Theatre
Thursday February 14 @ 7:30pm (Valentine’s Day!!!)
PART 1 – The Set Up…
The talented NCT cast will interview a random couple from the audience. The cast will then reenact significant scenes from their life together. First meeting…first date…wedding…mortifying moments….you get the idea. NCT cast members pull out all the stops to ensure the authentic reenactment of the couple’s significant milestones.
PART 2 – Judgement in Comedy Court…
The second half of the evening brings our couples into NCTs “Comedy Court.” Here, they will have the opportunity to “sue” their significant other for pet peeves. The cast treats these alleged offenses with the seriousness they deserve – acting as the lawyers, judge, bailiff and witnesses. The audience plays the ultimate role as the JURY during Comedy Court.
• San Diego’s professional improvisational comedy theatre, in almost 20 years, they have performed over 5,000 shows at their theatre in Mission Hills next to Shakespeare’s Pub.
• At the Friday and Saturday Night ongoing performances – Professionals perform sketches based on suggestions from the audience. Like “Whose Line Is It Anyway”
• National Comedy Theatre also teaches improvisation classes for kids, teens and adults – with additional classes focused on improvisation for teens on the autism spectrum as well as improvisation classes for seniors.