SANDAG report reveals San Diego’s economy is estimated to lose $12.4 billion in 2020
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A new report from SANDAG reveals that the San Diego Region is estimated to lose $12.4 billion in 2020.
SANDAG’s Chief Economist, Ray Major, discussed the troubling report in more detail on KUSI’s Good Morning San Diego.
Other notable findings include:
• $4.8 billion in estimated wages lost in the first six months of the COVID-19 pandemic
• 176,000 workers unemployed due to COVID-19 impacts in the San Diego region
• 1 in 5 female employees who lost their job, worked in the Education sector
• 2 in 3 young workers (ages 16 to 24) who lost their jobs were in the Tourism sector
• 50% of Hispanic workers who lost their jobs were in the Tourism sector