Space heater ignites fire in Lomita home, displacing family

SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – An early-morning fire Monday at a home in the Lomita neighborhood left six people displaced  and caused about $300,000 in damage, but none of the residents were injured.

A space heater placed too close to a bed caused the fire at the single- story home on Billow Drive, between Skyline Drive and San Felipe Street, around 2:45 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Fire crews had the blaze knocked down in about 20 minutes, SDFRD Capt. Joseph Amador said. The American Red Cross was summoned to assist five adults and a child displaced by the fire, authorities said.

Categories: KUSI