Survivors react to attacker being moved to state hospital

Two women who were raped more than 25 years ago were set to testify in court Tuesday, as their attacker was up for release. But in a last minute move, that hearing was canceled. He was called the Bolder Than Most Rapist because he attacked his victims at knife point, sometimes forcing the women’s husband or boyfriend to watch. He is now heading to a state hospital, and that brings mixed emotions. The women he attacked are relieved, but they are also worried about what could happen in the future.

“I just still struggle every day; my life has been hard because of it. I have passion, I can’t …” Recounted rape survivor Cynthia Medina.

It’s still there: the pain of a violent attack, 25 years after it happened. Cynthia Medina and Mary Taylor, two of the several women victimized in the 80’s by the so-called Bolder Than Most serial rapist Alvin Quarles. In 1989, Quarles was sentenced to 50 years in prison for his crimes, but last year, the women got word he was being released after serving just half his sentence. They looked to attorney Gloria Allred to help them prevent that from happening.

“We cannot just rely on the justice system to do what we expect it to do,” stated Allred. “We have to monitor it to make sure that, in fact, justice is being served.”

And now, the hearing set for Tuesday will not happen because Quarles admitted to being a sexually violent predator and will instead be sent to Coalinga State Hospital. But what happens if, and when, he says he’s better?

“It worries me that if we don’t keep paying attention, Quarles is going to be the next person on the news that you know who is being released to East County,” said Taylor. “No community should have to live with this and know that somebody who has a history of doing this is there with the opportunity to do it again.”

“I shouldn’t have to be dealing with this 25 years later, he should be doing the rest of his time,” declared Medina. “We shouldn’t have to worry about every year from now, ‘do I have to re-face this?’ It’s ridiculous.”

They were set to testify if they needed to, opening up the Pandora’s box of pain again.

“It doesn’t matter if it’s two years or 25 years, these types of crimes against people are just horrific and it doesn’t affect me – it affects everyone who cares about me,” stated Taylor.

Like Taylor’s two sons and her husband.

“It has it’s ups and downs – moments when she is emotionally overwhelmed and you saw glimpses of that,” said Taylor’s husband Stephen. “There are other moments when she’s clearly determined.”

No longer victims, now survivors with an unfortunate bond of sisterhood.

“I don’t have shame for what he did to me; it’s his shame. It’s on him,” said Medina.

The two women who spoke Monday encouraged victims of crimes to be their own advocates. These women found out their attacker was about to be released by reading the newspaper. The DA’s office has promised to keep them updated from now on.

Categories: KUSI