Theater Preview: 1/10/2019
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Theater Guru, Joey Landwehr joined Good Morning San Diego for this week’s theater preview.
A JEWEL IN THE CROWN CITY
Lamb’s Players Theatre
January 11 – February 17
From the very first production of the play A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS in 1978 through its most recent, the double extended musical ONCE just this past year Lamb’s Players Theatre has been bringing the theatrical arts to Southern California for over 40 years. But this staple of Coronado’s maine drag, Orange Avenue, has only been in Coronado for 25 years. This is their silver anniversary and to celebrate they are bringing Sixteen multi-talented performers and San Diego’s hottest band to the stage to take you on a thrilling musical journey through the best of LAMB’S 25 years in Coronado.
• The longevity of a theatre really means something. It is a benchmark of pride, and Lamb’s is one of the best!
PETER AND THE STARCATCHER
San Diego Junior Theatre
January 11 – 20
Peter and the Starcatcher takes a hilarious romp through the Neverland you never knew. It turns the story of Peter Pan on its ear and really delves into the “real lives” of these fictional characters. Based on the beloved, best-selling novels by JM Barrie, this magical and musical adaptation upends the century-old story of how a miserable orphan boy becomes the legendary Peter Pan.
• Peter and the Starcatcher was originally presented in 2009 as a Page to Stage workshop production by La Jolla Playhouse; Christopher Ashley, Artistic Director, and Michael S. Rosenberg, Managing Director.
• It was nominated for 9 Tony Awards, winning 5.
BETTY BUCKLEY IN HELLO, DOLLY!
Broadway/San Diego – Civic Theatre Downtown
January 15 – 20
Tony Award-winning Broadway legend Betty Buckley stars in HELLO, DOLLY! – the universally acclaimed smash that NPR calls “the best show of the year!” Winner of four Tony Awards including Best Musical Revival, director Jerry Zaks’ “gorgeous” new production is making people rise to their feet even before the curtain comes down. Breaking box office records week after week and receiving thunderous raves, this HELLO, DOLLY! pays tribute to the original work of legendary director/choreographer Gower Champion – hailed both then and now as one of the greatest stagings in musical theater history. Stop what you are doing and get your tickets right now!!!
• Rolling Stone calls it “a must-see event. A musical comedy dream. If you’re lucky enough to score a ticket, you’ll be seeing something historic.
• Betty Buckley is one of Broadway’s brightest stars. her first broadway show was the original cast of 1776, and then she went to win a Tony for playing the first person to EVER sing “Memory” from the musical CATS. She is fondly remembered for her TV and film roles such as Abby on EIGHT IS ENOUGH and the Gym Teacher in the Steven King classic CARRIE.
I had the great joy