Theater Previews – 1/23/20
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – KUSI’s very own Theater Guru, Joey Landwehr stopped by once again for this week’s Theater Preview!
GOING TO A PLACE WHERE YOU ALREADY ARE
OnStage Playhouse (Chula Vista)
Through February 16
Is there a heaven? Joe says no; it’s all a bunch of hokum. His wife, Roberta, has always claimed to agree. But lately she’s beginning to wonder, especially when they find themselves in church a lot, having reached the age when funerals are more frequent than weddings. Their granddaughter, Ellie, doesn’t have time in her own busy life to ponder the after-life. But when mortality confronts them, her grandmother’s claim to have gone to heaven and back doesn’t sound so crazy after all.
• With thoughtful storytelling and quiet wit, playwright Bekah Brunstetter looks at beginnings, endings—and an enigmatic angel.
• Nestled in Chula Vista, enjoy dinner before, and drinks after the show in the quaint surroundings of downtown Chula.
• Tickets: onstageplayhouse.org or 619-422-7787
KLEZMER BUENOS AIRES: THE LERNER-MOGUILEVSKY DUO
San Diego Center for Jewish Culture (University Town Center/La Jolla)
Wednesday, January 29 (One Night Only)
Direct from Argentina, this brilliant duo presents a stellar blend of klezmer, Argentinean folk music, tango and jazz improvisation. Their stunning virtuosity on flutes, bagpipe, clarinet, bass clarinet, soprano sax, harmonica, accordion, piano and percussion makes them sound more like an orchestra than a duet. For over two decades, they have brought audiences to their feet from Poland to Canada with breathtaking intensity.
• “Surrender yourself to their ecstatic joy . . . dance with it. Moguilevsky and Lerner are your hosts, satisfaction guaranteed.” Carlos Pages, Contumancia Magazine
• The UTC area has some of the most high end restaurants in San Diego. Check them out before or after the show for couture cocktails.
• Tickets: sdcjc.org or 858-362-1348
MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATRE 3000 Live: The Great Cheesy Movie Circus Tour!
The Balboa Theatre (Downtown)
Saturday, January 25th (One Night Only!)
The hilarious Peabody Award-winning hit TV comedy is coming to San Diego with an all-new Mystery Science Theater 3000 Live: The Great Cheesy Movie Circus Tour! Join creator and original host, Joel Hodgson, in his final tour and the world’s greatest – and only – movie-riffing robots, Tom Servo, Crow, and Gypsy, as they take you on an exhilarating roller coaster ride through some of the cheesiest films ever made.
• Mystery Science Theater 3000 has earned its place in history as one of the Top 100 TV Shows of all time and is currently a hit show on Netflix. Now you can sit in the same theater with your favorite characters and experience this comedy phenomenon in a universally acclaimed LIVE event.
• Tickets: www.broadwaysd.com or (619) 570-1100
North Coast Repertory Theatre (Solana Beach)
Through February 2
If you’ve ever wished you could go back and have a second chance at a decision you made back in your 20s, this winsome tale will simmer in your mind long after the play ends. Steven Dietz’s lyrical new Irish love story, set amidst tourists exploring the pubs and streets of James Joyce’s “Ulysses,” transports us into a compassionate world of history, humor and heartache. Filled with humor, this emotional story captures the intensity of experiences that pass by fleetingly as an older couple retraces their steps to discover their younger selves.
• “BLOOMSDAY gives us a funny, touching and stark look at what it is to be in love no matter what stage of life you’re in.” –BroadwayWorld.com
• “A literary and time-travel tale, wrapped with ribbon around a wistful love story.” — The Seattle Times
• Tickets: northcoastrep.org or (858) 481-1055