Theater Previews – 11/7/19
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Check out this week’s Theater Previews!
DISNEY’S MY SON PINOCCHIO
JCompany Youth Theatre (UTC Area)
Through November 17
The classic tale of toymaker Geppetto’s little wooden puppet is given new life. This new musical, which retells the classic Disney story from Geppetto’s perspective, features the beloved classic songs, “When You Wish upon a Star” and “I’ve Got No Strings,” alongside a host of new songs by Tony, Oscar & Grammy winner Stephen Schwartz (HUNCHBACK, POCAHONTAS, WICKED). Geppetto learns the joys of being a father and loving his child unconditionally. Join all the classic characters you know and love, along with some exciting new ones, as Geppetto journeys beyond the toyshop to discover the meaning of family.
• JCompany is proud to partner with GEPPETTOS TOY STORES now in 10 locations across San Diego County where you can go and get discounted tickets to this fun show for the entire family. www.geppettostoys.com
• Since most of this production is set in a toy store, the cast brought in their new and gently used toys to be a part of the set. Once the show is over all the toys will be donated to a series of orphanages in Mexico. www.corazondevida.org & www.almafuturefoundation.org
• Tickets: www.jcompanysd.org or 858-362-1348
Coronado Playhouse (Coronado)
Through December 15
Donna lives on a Greek island where she runs a small hotel. Her daughter, Sophie, is preparing for her wedding, dreaming of her father walking her down the aisle. One problem: she doesn’t know who he is! Sneaking a peek into her mother’s old journals, Sophie discovers that her dad is one of three possible guys. She secretly invites all three to the wedding, convinced that she’ll know her father when she sees him. But when all three turn up, it may not be as clear as she’d thought!
• Fall in love with the characters, the story, and the music that make Mamma Mia! the ultimate feel-good show. This sunny, funny, sensational story, is told through the magic of ABBA’s timeless music and explosive dance numbers. Music and lyrics from the team that brought us the hits you know and love, like “Dancing Queen,” “Thank You for the Music,” “Money, Money Money,” “Take A Chance on Me,” and the title song “Mamma Mia!”
• “A certified hit…. A giddy guilty pleasure.” – Variety
• Tickets: coronadoplayhouse.com or (619) 435-4856
JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR
Broadway/San Diego (Civic Theatre – Downtown)
Through November 17
With music and lyrics by Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony award-winning Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, Jesus Christ Superstar is set against the backdrop of an extraordinary series of events during the final weeks in the life of Jesus Christ as seen through the eyes of Judas. Reflecting the rock roots that defined a generation, the legendary score includes ‘I Don’t Know How to Love Him’, ‘Gethsemane’ and ‘Superstar’.
• The iconic musical phenomenon with a world-wide fan base celebrates its 50th Anniversary with this new mesmerizing production. Originally staged by London’s Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre this production won the 2017 Olivier Award for Best Musical Revival garnering unprecedented reviews and accolades. Appealing to both theater audiences and concert music fans, this production pays tribute to the historic 1971 Billboard Album of the Year while creating a modern, theatrical world that is uniquely fresh and inspiring.
• An album that inspired a REVOLUTION. A REVELATION that changed the world. A REINVENTION for this millennium.
• Tickets: www.broadwaysd.com or (619) 570-1100