Theater Previews – 12/12/19
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – This week’s theater previews is sure to get you into the holiday spirit!
Point Loma Playhouse (Point Loma)
Through December 14
A dark, dark Christmas comedy. Scandal erupts at the North Pole when one of Santa’s eight tiny reindeer accuses him of sexual harassment. As mass media descends upon the event, the other members of the sleigh team demand to share their perspectives, and a horrific tale of corruption and perversion emerges, which seems to implicate everyone from the littlest elf to the tainted Saint himself. With each deer’s confession, the truth behind the shocking allegations becomes clearer and clearer. …and murkier and murkier.
• Don’t miss this expose of North Pole Naughtiness, offering is a hilarious take on the reindeer who power the sleigh that brings toys to all good boys and girls plays.
• Intended for a mature audience, not recommended for children.
• Tickets: www.pointlomaplayhouse.com or 619-800-5497
A CHRISTMAS CAROL: A RADIO PLAY
Oceanside Theatre Company (Brooks Theatre – Oceanside)
Through December 22
Join us in the studios of WOTC radio as we broadcast the Charles Dickens classic tale of miserly curmudgeon Ebenezer Scrooge and his visit from the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future. A wonderful piece of literature brought to the stage that reminds us of what is truly valuable. An OTC original adaptation.
• Great fun for the whole family!
• Beautiful downtown Oceanside, lots of great restaurants.
• It’s always so much fun watching the foley artists make the sounds live on stage.
• Tickets: oceansidetheatre.org or 760-433-8900
LAMB’S FESTIVAL OF CHRISTMAS
Lamb’s Players Theatre (Coronado)
Through December 29
Set in a New York TV studio in 1952 where a live broadcast of a Christmas variety show is thrown into hilarious chaos when a blizzard shuts down the city. It is a delightful holiday show the entire family will enjoy, filled with gorgeous music of the Season.
• Now in its 42nd Year! LAMB’S FESTIVAL OF CHRISTMAS is a San Diego Holiday Tradition that’s different every December. An original play filled with terrific music of the Season.
• This year’s script by Kerry Meads is “It’s Christmas And It’s Live.”
• Tickets: www.lambsplayers.org or 619.437.6000
TRADITIONS OF CHRISTMAS – REMIXED
Christian Community Theatre (Lincoln Performing Arts Center – Southeast San Diego)
Through December 22
Christian Community Theater is partnering with Arts in Motion Studio/ Arms Wide Open to reimagine San Diego’s most celebrated Christmas Show Spectacular. Seen by over 250,000 patrons this Christmas musical extravaganza has been retooled, remixed and redesigned to bring the show into the 21st Century with new LED scenic designs, lighting and new songs and dance numbers that will get anyone into the holiday spirit – even the Grinch.
• Tickets: www.cytsandiego.org or 619-588-0206
A CHRISTMAS STORY
San Diego Musical Theatre (Horton Grande Theatre – Downtown)
Through December 29
Nine year old Ralphie Parker wants one thing for Christmas, and one thing only: An Official Red Ryder Range Model Carbine Action BB Gun. There’s only one problem: everyone else is convinced he’ll shoot his eye out! Undeterred, he begins his saga of convincing all the necessary players, from his sweet and protective Mother, to his straitlaced teacher, all the way to Santa Claus himself, that he needs that gun for the protection of his loved ones, and maybe even a little cowboy glory to call his own.
Ralphie’s vivid imagination conjures up all the great show stopping numbers created by the musical team Pasek and Paul who has brought us such greats as DEAR EVAN HANSEN, JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH, LA LA LAND, THE GREATEST SHOWMAN and the Tony Award winning DEAR EVAN HANSEN coming on tour to San Diego in January. Check out www.broadwaysd.com for more information.
• Filled with quirky and lovable characters, this zany, heartfelt, and nostalgic musical is as delightful as the biggest, shiniest present, under the tree on Christmas morning.
• Suitable for the entire family!
• Tickets: www.sdmt.org or (833) 428-0947