Theater Previews – 2/13/20
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Theater Guru Joey Landwehr stopped by for this week’s Theater Preview!
SHE LOVES ME
San Diego Musical Theatre (Horton Grand Theatre – Downtown)
Through March 8
Set in a 1930s European perfumery, we meet shop clerks, Amalia and Georg, who, more often than not, don’t see eye to eye. After both respond to a “lonely hearts advertisement” in the newspaper, they now live for the love letters that they exchange, but the identity of their admirers remains unknown. Join Amalia and Georg to discover the identity of their true loves… and of all the twists and turns along the way!
• An intimate and touching show, featuring music by Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick (Fiddler on the Roof). She Loves Me was nominated for five Tony Awards in 1964. The 1993 Broadway revival won the Olivier Award for Best Musical Revival, the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Revival of a Musical and the 1994 Critics Circle Award for Best Musical.
• Considered by many to be the most charming musical ever written, She Loves Me is a warm romantic comedy with an endearing innocence and a touch of old world elegance.
• Tickets: www.sdmt.org or (833) 428-0947
HANSEL AND GRETEL
San Diego Opera (Civic Theatre – Downtown)
Through February 16
Hansel and Gretel tells the story of two children who become lost in a dark and mysterious forest. In the middle of nowhere, they come across a gingerbread house festooned with candy and sweets, a confectionery castle of delectable delights, which holds a dark secret that threatens their very lives. Using their wit, and each other, the two children outsmart an evil witch and make their escape from the forest.
• Whimsical sets, larger than life puppets, and great singers bring the Brothers Grimm fairy tale Hansel and Gretel to life on the opera stage. This uplifting take on the classic tale is filled with drama and wonder, and will charm the whole family.
• This colorful production of Engelbert Humperdinck’s beloved opera is performed in English with English text projected above the stage, so children of all ages can enjoy the story.
• Tickets: www.sdopera.org or (619) 533-7000
La Jolla Playhouse (La Jolla – UCSD Campus)
Through March 29
Wendy’s life is about to change forever when she meets a boy named Peter, a pirate named Hook, and a beguiling, beautiful Crocodile, who’s much more than meets the eye. In this thrilling, funny, dangerous look at J.M. Barrie’s novel Peter and Wendy, a whole new Neverland comes to life.
• Fly will take audiences on an adventure propelled by a powerful and percussive score, dynamic choreography and aerial acrobatics. A fantastical journey for ages 8 to 800!
• La Jolla Playhouse Announces Three-Time Tony Award Winner Andy Blankenbuehler (Hamilton, Bandstand, In the Heights) and Stephanie Klemons (Hamilton, In the Heights) as co-choreographers for Fly.
• Tickets: www.lajollaplayhouse.org or (858) 550-1010