Theater Previews – 5/16/19
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Another theater preview from KUSI’s Theater Guru, Joey Landwehr!
FIDDLER ON THE ROOF
Broadway/San Diego (Civic Theatre – Downtown)
May 28 – June 2
Tony Award winning director Bartlett Sher and the team behind South Pacific, The King and I and 2017 Tony-winning Best Play Oslo, bring a fresh and authentic vision to this beloved theatrical masterpiece. You’ll be there when the sun rises on this new production, with stunning movement and dance from acclaimed Israeli choreographer Hofesh Shechter, based on the original staging by Jerome Robbins. A wonderful cast and a lavish orchestra tell this heartwarming story of fathers and daughters, husbands and wives, and the timeless traditions that define faith and family. Featuring the Broadway classics “Tradition,” “If I Were a Rich Man,” “Sunrise, Sunset,” “Matchmaker, Matchmaker” and “To Life,” FIDDLER ON THE ROOF will introduce a new generation to this uplifting celebration that raises its cup to joy! To love! To life!
• The original production won 10 Tony Awards, including a special Tony for becoming the longest-running Broadway musical of all time.
• “An entirely fresh, funny, and gorgeous new production. A reason for celebration!” – New York Magazine
• Tickets: broadwaysd.com or 619.570.1100
YOGA PLAY (San Diego Premiere)
Moxie Theatre (SDSU College Area)
Through June 2
Yoga apparel giant, Jojomon is at the top of its game when a terrible scandal sends them into freefall. Newly hired CEO Joan, stakes everything on a wild plan to recover their earnings and their reputation. Playwright Dipika Guha twists commerce into comedy and takes so much of her inspiration from her first trip to Southern California. She thought of California as a place to come to reinvent yourself, it symbolized the peace movement, and she also thought of it as a place people come to make money. And So, YOGA PLAY is a comedy about enlightenment in a world determined to sell it.
• MOXIE Theatre’s mission is to create more diverse and honest images of women for our culture. Every production that premieres on our stage embodies moxie and defies stereotypes associated with “women’s work.” By expanding what we consider feminine, MOXIE celebrates the humanity we all share.
• Tickets: moxietheatre.com or 858.598.7620
1776 – THE MUSICAL (All Female Cast)
JCompany Youth Theatre (UTC in the Heart of The Golden Triangle)
Through May 19
1776 is a funny, insightful and compelling drama with a striking score and legendary book.
It’s the summer of 1776, and the nation is ready to declare independence… if only our founding fathers can agree to do it! 1776 follows John Adams of Massachusetts, Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania and Thomas Jefferson of Virginia as they attempt to convince the members of the Second Continental Congress to vote for independence from the shackles of the British monarchy by signing the Declaration of Independence.
• As Beyonce, the patron saint of girl power says, “Who run the world? GIRLS!” JCompany’s production will be led by an all female cast!
• San Diego’s best young artists star in this epic production of the birth of our nation. “When watching a JCompany show, often times I forget they are youth, they are so professional and talented!” –Stephanie Gorski, NYC
• Directed by KUSI’s Theatre Guru, Joey Landwehr
• Tickets: jcompanysd.org or 858.362.1348