Theater Previews – 6/27/19
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Joey Landwehr stops by for another theater preview!
PUFFS (San Diego Premiere)
PowPAC Poway’s Community Theatre / The Eastern Company (Poway)
Through July 21
For seven years a certain boy wizard went to a certain Wizard School and conquered evil. This, however, is not his story. This is the story of the Puffs… a group of well-meaning, loyal outsiders with a thing for badgers “who are so lovable and relatable, you’ll leave the theater wishing they were in the stories all along.”
• Currently running Off-Broadway.
• “A FAST-PACED ROMP through the ‘Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Certain School of Magic and Magic.’ For POTTERphiliacs who grew up alongside Potter and are eager to revisit that world, ‘PUFFS’ exudes a jovial, winking fondness for all things Harry!” — NY Times
• Puffs contains language that may not be suitable for all ages… but then again, we don’t tell you how to parent.
• Tickets: theeasternsd.com or 619-768-3821
SILENT NO MORE
No Limits/Olive Creative Strategies (at The Lyceum Theatre -Downtown)
Saturday, June 29th – ONE NIGHT ONLY!
A Live Theatrical Performance Featuring a Collection of Stories About Living with Hearing Loss. Having performed to sold-out audiences across the country, including Carnegie Hall in New York City and The Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., Silent NO MORE is comprised of real stories that remind audience of the power of the human spirit that will teach, entertain and maybe even move you to tears. This theatrical performance bridges the gap between the Deaf community and spoken community to inspire everyone to join forces in making a difference.
• The evening concludes with a Q&A with cast and audience members from the deafSign and deafSpeak communities; a discussion which will tackle head-on the debate between the Deaf community who sign and the deaf community who speaks with the purpose to bridge the gap between both worlds.
• ASL Interpreter and Live Captioning will be available.
• Tickets: donate.nolimitsfordeafchildren.org/campaigns/10164-silent-no-more-san-diego or 310.280.0878
AS YOU LIKE IT
The Old Globe (Balboa Park)
Through July 21
The 2019 Shakespeare Festival kicks off with the Bard’s fabulously charming romantic comedy, whose heroine is one of his most remarkable creations. The magical forest of Arden is the play’s famous setting, where a gallery of eccentric characters comes together to find love, fortune, redemption…and themselves. Banished from the court by her deceitful and treacherous uncle, Rosalind disguises herself as a boy, not knowing that the man she loves, also on the run, is behind the next tree. Balboa Park is the ideal spot for Shakespeare’s enticing tale of mistaken identity, heartfelt romance, and the endearing fumbles and foibles of love.
• Meredith Garretson is brilliant as Rosalind, one of Shakespeare’s most interesting and formidable female characters. A MUST SEE!
• What could be better than outdoor theatre, in beautiful Balboa Park in perfect San Diego weather?!
• Tickets: theoldglobe.org or (619) 234-5623