Theater Previews – 7/11/19
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – San Diego always has a great theater scene. Check out this week’s Theater Preview with KUSI’s Theater Guru, Joey Landwehr!
ROCK OF AGES
Cygnet Theatre (Old Town)
Through August 25
Journey back to the sexy 1980’s era of big: big bands, big egos, big guitar solos and big hair! Aqua Net, Lycra and liquor flow freely on the legendary Sunset Strip rock music scene. Amidst the madness, aspiring rock star Drew longs to become the next big thing in music, and longs for fresh-off-the-bus newcomer Sherrie, a Kansas kid with stars in her eyes. This musical comedy lovingly nudges the fashion of the 1980’s and features some of the best rock hits from the time with music from Styx, Journey, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake and many more.
• Get an ice cold beer…right on stage! The show’s Sunset Strip nightclub, The Bourbon Room, is open for business before the show and at intermission.
• Fridays are 80’s Nights! When you dress up in your best 80’s outfits on Fridays you’ll receive a complimentary glow bracelet (all the cool kids have them). Plus, enjoy a fun rock inspired photo booth!
• “Rock of Ages is the power-ballad decade in all its glory, tricked out with big perms, bigger dreams, and the kind of operatic ecstasy you read about only in bathroom stalls.” – Entertainment Weekly
• Tickets: cygnettheatre.com or 619-337-1525
THE WIZARD OF OZ
Patio Plays In The Park – at Kit Carson Amphitheatre (Escondido)
Through July 27
This beloved tale, in which a Kansas farm girl travels over the rainbow to discover the magical power of home, has been entertaining audiences for generations. This production is faithful adaptation of the film, recreating the dialogue and structure of the MGM classic nearly scene for scene, though it is adapted for live stage performance.
Includes the songs from the classic MGM film: “Over The Rainbow,” “Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead,” “If I Only Had A Brain/A Heart/The Nerve,” “We’re Off To See The Wizard,” “If I Were King Of The Forest,” and “The Merry Old Land of Oz.”
• Kit Carson Amphitheatre, is Escondido’s best kept secret. Nestled in, beautiful Kit Carson Park, bring a picnic dinner and enjoy the beautiful SoCal weather under the stars along with some of San Diego’s top rated entertainment.
• Tickets: patioplayhouse.com or 760.746.6669
La Jolla Playhouse (UCSD Campus)
Through July 28
Lissette is a vibrant, independent woman who lives on her own terms. But when a sudden diagnosis changes life as she knows it, she must navigate the strong opinions of her mother and her best friend as she resolutely forges her own path for her future. Facing her new reality with a healthy dose of humor and heartened by the love of her friends and family, Lisette’s journey reminds us of the power in each of us to take ownership of our lives. This new play is an affecting, thought-provoking and deeply affirmational story of how we live and love.
• Developed right here in San Diego at the DNA New Works Series.
• In the style and mood of television works like GRACE AND FRANKIE or THE COOL KIDS it shows us that every generation has something to offer and they have fun doing it!
• “This play makes us appreciate our family as well as the friends who became our family in times of difficulty. It’s a deeply affirmational story about how we live.” – Christopher Ashley, Artistic Director, La Jolla Playhouse
• Tickets: lajollaplayhouse.org or 858.550.1010