Theater Previews – 8/22/19
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – This week’s Theater Previews include timeless classics you won’t want to miss!
A WEEKEND WITH PABLO PICASSO
New Village Arts (Carlsbad)
Through August 25
A Teatro Pueblo Nuevo Production, Written By and Starring the intoxicating Herbert Siguenza, A WEEKEND WITH PABLO PICASSO finds the artist living in France in 1957 at the height of his celebrity and facing an unexpected high-profile commission to crank out six paintings and three vases over the course of a single weekend. Picasso has grudgingly allowed a group of art students — the audience — to stay at his home/studio while his family is away.
• Picasso is known to have said “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Through this engaging piece Siguenza allows Picasso to directly engage the audience with jokes, stories and insights into the artistic life culled from Picasso’s interviews and writings.
• “a delectable, 80-minute tour-de-force” – San Jose News
• Tickets: newvillagearts.org or (760) 433-3245
ROMEO AND JULIET
The Old Globe (Balboa Park)
Through September 15
Verona’s Montague and Capulet families have been feuding for ages, and whenever they meet, violence breaks out. But when Romeo glimpses Juliet across a crowded dance floor, something different happens. Can star-crossed love survive in a world of rivalry and rage? With a plot featuring a masqued ball, sleeping potions, and all-out brawling in the street, wrapped in a text full of soaring poetry, it’s no wonder Romeo and Juliet has inspired countless adaptations, from ballets to movies to musicals like West Side Story. Young love has never been as dangerous or delightful as it is in Shakespeare’s romantic masterpiece, brought to vivid life on our outdoor stage under the stars.
• After his smash-hit Othello and record-breaking Hamlet, Barry Edelstein returns to the Shakespeare Festival to take on the greatest love story of all time.
• One of San Diego’s greatest traditions. Shakespeare under the stars in the beautiful Balboa Park. A MUST EXPERIENCE DESTINATION EVENT!
• Tickets: theoldglobe.org or (619) 234-5623
WEST SIDE STORY
Moonlight Stage Productions (Vista)
Through August 31
From the first notes to the final breath, West Side Story is one of the most memorable musicals and greatest love stories of all time. The world’s greatest love story takes to the streets in this landmark Broadway musical that is one of the theatre’s finest accomplishments. Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet is transported to New York City as two young, idealistic lovers find themselves caught between warring street gangs, the “American” Jets and the Puerto Rican Sharks. Their struggle to survive in a world of hate, violence and prejudice is one of the most innovative, heart-wrenching and relevant musical dramas of our time.
• Arthur Laurents’ book remains as powerful, poignant and timely as ever. The score by Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim is widely regarded as one of the best ever written.
• Come see WEST SIDE STORY in true San Diego fashion, under the stars with a full live orchestra!
• Tickets: moonlightstage.com or 760.724.2110