Theater Previews – 9/12/19
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Here are this week’s Theater Previews!
North Coast Repertory Theatre (Solana Beach)
Through September 29
With the glorious music of Mozart as a backdrop, Peter Shaffer’s Tony Award winning theatrical tale of composers Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Antonio Salieri wows audiences. Told in a series of flashbacks laced with humor, intrigue and personal insight, AMADEUS explores two men – one consumed with jealousy and the other blissfully unaware of his extraordinary gifts. This audience favorite will enrich your understanding of a musical genius and your appreciation of a master playwright.
• The play makes significant use of the music of Mozart, Salieri, and other composers of the period. The premieres of Mozart’s operas The Abduction from the Seraglio, The Marriage of Figaro, Don Giovanni, and The Magic Flute are the settings for key scenes.
• AMADEUS won the Tony Award for BEST PLAY in 1981 and the Oscar for BEST PICTURE, and made Tom Hulce a house-hold name.
• Terrifically entertaining, highly theatrical. – The New York Times
• Tickets: northcoastrep.org or (858) 481-1055
Scripps Ranch Theatre (Alliant University Campus)
Through October 6
Foxfire takes place on a small farm in Southern Appalachia threatened by hard times and creeping real estate development. But it is really about the strength of family, the burnished love of a long marriage and the values that have sustained this nation. It is laced with knee slapping, soul stirring music.
• Written by Hume Cronyn best known for his film roles in, LIFEBOAT, THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE and COCOON which he starred with his wife Jessica Tandy.
• Jessica Tandy won the BEST ACTRESS Tony award for FOXFIRE in 1982 and went on to win the Emmy for the made for TV movie.
• FOXFIRE is a co-production with Oceanside Theatre running October 11 – 27
• Anything that helps keep the beautiful memory of the Tandy/Cronyn love-story alive has to be great! –Joey Landwehr, Theatre Guru
• Tickets: scrippsranchtheatre.org or (858) 578-7728
OB Playhouse (Ocean Beach)
Through October 6
Johnny, Tunny and Will struggle to find meaning in a new millenium world. When the three disgruntled men flee the constraints of their hometown for the thrills of city life, their paths are quickly estranged when Tunny enters the armed forces, Will is called back home to attend to familial responsibilities, and Johnny’s attention becomes divided by a seductive love interest and a hazardous new friendship. An energy-fueled rock opera, American Idiot, features little dialogue and instead relies on the lyrics from Green Day’s groundbreaking album to execute the story line.
• This high-octane show includes every song from Green Day’s album,American Idiot, as well as several songs from its follow-up release, 21st Century Breakdown.
• Co-Directed & Choreographed by Juztine Tuason & Michael Mizerany. With these two at the helm it’s bound to be a jump to your feet audience favorite.
• This show is just what the doctor ordered for anyone feeling a little ill-at-ease with the political world today! — Joey Landwehr, Theatre Guru
• Ticketsw: obtheatrecompany.com or 619.795.9305