Theatre Preview May 24th, 2019
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Theatre contributor Joey Landwehr joined Good Morning San Diego to talk about some of the best plays you could see in San Diego this weekend.
THE GODS OF COMEDY (World Premiere)
The Old Globe (Balboa Park)
Through June 16
Daphne and Ralph are young classics professors who have just made a discovery that’s sure to turn them into academic superstars. But something goes disastrously wrong, and Daphne cries out in a panic, “Save me, gods of ancient Greece!”…and the gods actually appear! The Ivy League will never be the same as a pair of screwball deities encounters the carnal complexity of college coeds, campus capers, and conspicuous consumption. Two-time Olivier Award–winning comic playwright Ken Ludwig, who delighted Globe audiences with Robin Hood! and Baskerville, brings us a knockabout world premiere with laughs that are simply divine.
• Two-time Olivier Award–winning playwright Ken Ludwig, who delighted Globe audiences with Robin Hood! and Baskerville, brings us a knockabout world premiere with laughs that are simply divine.
• Tony Award nominated actor, Brad Oscar as the god of wine and fertility is a comic gift from the gods!
• Tickets: theoldglobe.org or 619.234.5623
THE OLD MAN AND THE OLD MOON
Coronado Playhouse (Coronado)
Through June 16
The Old Man has kept his post as the sole caretaker of the moon for as long as he (or his wife, the Old Woman) can remember. Each night, Old Man must fill up the moon with liquid light. He and his wife have been doing this same routine for so long, they’ve forgotten who they are and why they started filling up the moon in the first place. When his wife is drawn away by a mysterious melody sparking memories of their shared past, the Old Man must decide between duty (and routine) and love (and adventure). Luckily for audiences everywhere, he chooses the latter, and what follows is an imaginative sea-faring epic, encompassing apocalyptic storms, civil wars, leviathans of the deep, and cantankerous ghosts, as well as the fiercest obstacle of all: change.
• Utilizing haunting folk music and imaginative shadow puppetry THE OLD MAN AND THE MOON is a one of a kind theatrical experience for everyone.
• Directed by Desha Crownover this beautiful piece of storytelling is in the best of hands!
• Located right on Coronado Bay, it is a beautiful place for a creative work.
• Tickets: coronadoplayhouse.com or 619.435.4856
THE BROADWAY/SAN DIEGO AWARDS
Broadway/San Diego (Balboa Theatre – Downtown)
May 26 – ONE NIGHT ONLY!
This is every San Diego musical theatre lover’s DESTINATION EVENT of the year. Each Memorial day weekend San Diego brings the best of the best to perform just for you in a top notch theatrical display in the beautiful Balboa Theatre, Downtown. Come and watch all some of the most talented young people compete for the coveted Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Musical Production awards and amazing cash prizes. And then our two champions will then move on to represent our region at the National High School Musical Theatre Awards also known as the Jimmy Awards in New York. There, they will perform on a Broadway stage and compete for a chance at winning $10,000 towards a college scholarship.
Come and cheer on your favorites and see these talented performers before they make it to Broadway
• The Broadway San Diego Awards is now entering its 6th year and the competition is sponsored by San Diego County Credit Union, celebrating excellence in local High School musical theatre.
• Tickets: broadwaysd.com or 619.570.1100