Three-year-old dies after choking on push-pin at Oceanside school

OCEANSIDE (CNS) – A North County couple is mourning the death of their 3-year-old son, who choked on a push-pin at the Montessori School of Oceanside.

Tyler Howell of Oceanside died Monday afternoon of asphyxiation due to airway obstruction, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office.

His teacher told authorities that shortly before 1 p.m., the boy made a gasping sound, grabbed his neck and became unresponsive.

A bystander performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation while paramedics were summoned to the preschool at 3525 Cannon Road, the Medical Examiner's Office reported. Paramedics took the boy to Tri-City Medical Center, where he died at 1:50 p.m.

Categories: KUSI