Top 10 things to be aware of regarding health insurance
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – It’s a New Year, so there are some new rules and things that everyone in CA needs to know.
Below is a top 10 list that everyone in CA needs to be aware of, according to Craig Gussin.
1) If you don’t have health insurance in 2020 you will pay a penalty of $695 or 2.5% of your income, whichever is higher.
2) You can only be without health insurance for 3 month to not receive a penalty.
3) If you have no insurance in 2020 and pay the penalty you will still be liable for all your medical expenses.
4) The Federal Subsidy level in 2020 is up to 400% of the Federal Poverty Level (which is $49,960 for a single person and $103,000 for a family of 4).
5) You may receive a subsidy in 2020 from the State of CA if your income is below 600% of the Federal Poverty Level (which is $74,940 for a single person and $154,500 for a family of 4).
6) You can only receive a subsidy by getting your insurance thru Covered CA.
7) Now is a good time to make sure all your Dr’s still accept your health insurance plan in 2020.
8) You may change your current health insurance plan in January 2020 and have the new health insurance plan begin Feb 1st.
9) The last day to sign up for health insurance in 2020 is Jan 31, 2020 and your health insurance will begin Feb 1st.
10) After Jan 31st you cannot buy health insurance for the remainder of 2020, unless you have a “qualifying event”.