Two officers wounded in Ferguson, search for gunman continues
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Protests in Ferguson never really stopped since last year’s shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown and Wednesday night’s shootings are a remind that Ferguson can be a dangerous place for just about everyone.
The two officers were standing guard during demonstrations following the announcement that Police Chief Thomas Jackson was stepping down.
One officer was shot in the face, the other was struck in his shoulder with the bullet exiting his back.
“By god’s grace we didn’t lose two officers last night,” said Chief Jon Belmar in St. Louis County.
Both officers are out of the hospital and home with their families.
“What happened last night was a pure ambush. This was not someone trying to bring healing to Ferguson. This was a damn punk. A punk,” said Attorney General Eric Holder.
Witnesses said the shots were fired from a hill behind the protesters.
“The bullets were really right past my head. It was, it was kind of traumatic. I’m still kind of in shock because of it,” said one witness, Bradley Rayford.
Detectives brought in two men and a woman for questions, but so far no arrests have been made.
Chief Jackson’s resignation comes a week after a justice department report found racial discrimination within his police force.
In August, Michael Brown was shot and killed by Officer Darren Wilson.
It led to months of protests and sometimes violence.
In the end, the Justice Department cleared Wilson of any wrongdoings.
More protests are expected after this recent shooting.
The Missouri Highway Patrol and Saint Louis County police are taking over the security for Thursday night’s demonstrations.