Unattended food left in an oven leads to $75,000 in damage to College area restaurant

SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The Ranchwood BBQ and Catering restaurant in the College area, just west of La Mesa city limits, sustained $75,000 in damage due to a fire that blazed through the building. A passerby saw smoke and flames coming from the location at about 6:45 a.m. Sunday morning and called 9-1-1 to report the blaze, San Diego Fire Rescue Capt. Joe Amador said. 

It took a crew of about 25 firefighters from San Diego and Heartland Fire 20 minutes to contain the fire at 7229 El Cajon Blvd. The cause of the fire was reportedly unattended food left in an oven. $50,000 in building damage was estimated, with another $25,000 occurring to content inside. 

The restaurant was closed throughout Sunday as they recovered from the fire. The San Diego County Health Department also responded to the incident, which is standard operating protocol for all restaurant fires, according to Amador. 

Categories: KUSI