University City apartments damaged by fire
SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – Five people were displaced in University City after careless smoking sparked a blaze that damaged three apartments Monday afternoon.
According to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department, the non-injury blaze in the 3800 block of Nobel Drive began spreading about 1:15 p.m.
Crews were able to confine the flames to a single fourth-floor unit, though two residences below it sustained water damage, SDFRD spokesman Lee Swanson said.
The personnel had the three-alarm blaze under control within 25 minutes.
The American Red Cross was called in to help the displaced residents — all of them adults — arrange for temporary lodging, Swanson said.
Investigators set the monetary losses at $32,000.