Week 12: Poway Titans 47, Monte Vista Monarchs 0

The last time the Poway Titans and Monte Vista Monarchs met was in 1974 in a quarterfinal game. The only other time was Monte Vista’s first-ever game and Poway’s second game ever in September of 1961 at old Cajon Speedway.

To say that they don’t meet often would be an understatement.

The Monarchs defeated the Titans in both of those meetings.

Poway (7-4) finally got a win in the series and it was a big one. The Titans defeated the Monarchs in 2019 by a 47-0 tally to move on in the CIF-San Diego Section Division II playoffs.

This game had a little bit of everything. A safety, a couple of missed field goals, and an injury delay.

The scoring got underway with a blocked punt by Poway that went out the back of the end zone for a safety.

Poway added another three on a 38-yard field goal by Reid Schuback to make it 5-0.

Colby Kopacz took it 24-yards to add another six points on the board. The extra point was blocked to make it a very odd 11-0 score with Poway in the lead.

With just four seconds left in the first half, Monte Vista attempted a 38-yard field goal that was wide left. But the Monarchs got another shot at a field goal due to a roughing the kicker penalty. So Monte Vista (6-5) attempted a 27-yard field goal with an untimed down. But that kick was wide right.

To show how much the Titans were controlling the game, they had outgained the Monarchs, 110-41.

Poway picked up right where they left off in the first half with a touchdown on a 60-yard pass that Andrew Wiesley completed to Josh Butler. The two-point conversion was good to make it 19-0 just a minute into the third quarter.

On their next possession, it was Wiesley-to-Butler again, this time from 19 yards out, pushing it to 26-0.

DJ Owens from Poway intercepted his second pass of the night.

Joey Fournier took the snap on a play where Poway was faking a bad snap from just three yards out to make it 33-0.

Things went sour for Poway with 33 seconds left in the third quarter. 

Wiesley ran a sweep to the right, cut up the field and then cut across the field to the end zone for a score. When he was crossing the goal line, a Monarch lineman got tangled up with his leg and came down on it. This action caused Wiesley’s leg to break. 

Athletic trainers from both sidelines scrambled to go help the senior. After putting an air cast on his leg, he was put on a cart and carted off the field. An ambulance arrived from the nearby fire station (literally within eyesight of the field).

Poway will move on to face Bishop’s next week in La Jolla. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. in the quarterfinals.

Categories: Final 4, This Week’s Games